Wednesday, April 6, 2011

5K Training

Well Tuesday was a tough day at the gym. Foot feeling better but you would have to be a duck to run outside right now. I think Spring is close, we are down too about a half inch of rain a day.

Didn't really feel much like knocking myself out at the gym yesterday. Went in with a ho hum attitude. Got on the elliptical and started off to do 30 minutes of hills. Got about 10 minutes into the ever exciting elliptical training when this guy gets on the machine next to me. No big deal for a minute or two but then the smell hit me!! This guy, mid 20's, smelled like he hadn't seen a shower in a long time. Maybe he is holding off until the rain stops?? So at 11.5 minutes I moved to another part of the gym. Personal hygiene has to be mentioned in "How to Win Friends and Impress People" somewhere. So note to self, shower at least once a day and make new friends.

After the bad cardio program, moved to abs and light weights. Still got an hour in so I guess that's not so bad. More determination today!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have lived all over the U.S. and now live in the Texas hill country. Oregon has always been a place that I had wanted to visit because of the number of great atheletes who call Oregon home. When I lived in the green mountains of Vermont I was told by a Eugene resident that it was much better in Eugene. The weather was warmer, the mountains prettier and the wildlife far more plentiful and interesting! I think you had better check with the local tourist bureau to keep the story straight. You make the Texas hill country sound good!
    So I got tired of the Gym and started riding my road bike. My fist hard ride was a 62 mile fund raiser through LBJ state park. It has some very tough hills but I managed to average more than 15MPH. The surprise was that I should have lost about 2 lbs but instead I gained while reducing body fat. This may not be a good strategy for improving 5K fitness as the cycling muscles do not help much in distance running but I blew away most of my "muffin tops" over a two week period of riding hard. People actually came up to me at work to tell me that whatever I was doing was working because I do not look the same as in January. Unfortunately with the weight I am carrying I am not a competitive distance runner unless I am competing against the Seatle Seahawks front line. You have me beat there.

    ReplyDelete